Every Monday, my wife and I will take this time to reflect through all the weekly struggles, frustrations, screaming children, unplanned expenses, surprise bills, disappointing date nights, speeding tickets, challenging co-workers, and whatever else the week throws our way to highlight what we're both grateful for.
So this Monday, September 25th, 2017, I'm grateful for:
1. For our regulars, this is gonna sound redundant, but my 6 mos. old daughter's stupidly happy spirit. She damn near makes me wanna rack up another lifetime of debt by having creating another joyous creature to put on this Earth. But not really. I'm in love, but I'm not crazy.
2. I had a hand in promoting someone who's opinion and work ethic I respect into leadership. I've been able to watch this young man's career grow, but more importantly watched how's he's taken the opportunity to shape his own life. Now with 2 beautiful kids and a wife who now has the choice to work or not, it's a lovely place to be.
3. A week of smiley faces at my son's school. So my son didn't start his first year of kindergarten on the best terms. Our fear was he would get expelled from his new charter school like he did from his previous Montessori prior to kindergarten. Luckily, we have medical insurance that covers mental health evaluations for our son up to and including occupational therapy. His school sends him home everyday with a rating the kids give themselves - either Happy, Neutral, or Sad face has to be colored in and signed off by the parent. So between his two therapists, patient teachers, and a determined 5 year-old, he's made it his personal goal to bring home a week's worth of smiley faces. This week he checked that one off his list. Proving to himself he can actually behave through a day of class. Now a full week. Perhaps even a month or a lifetime. I think his whole mindset changed from what is to what's possible. It's a great moment to witness as a parent.
1. I was in the gym 4 days last week! Since having the she babe, self confidence has been at an all time low because of my appearance. I know things won't change unless I do the work and eat well. While I'm still working on the nutrition aspect being consistent in the gym has definitely been an ego boost. Shooting for 5 days this week!!
2. Conversation with a lifelong friend. Lately, I've been feeling all out of sorts. Nothing is really going or feeling right. But God has blessed me with some amazing friends. During our weekly check in with regarding our goals and struggles, we got each other together. No one should do this king called life without a tribe to help keep you standing when you feel like you're constantly falling. I love my sister friends!
3. Positive feedback. We're in the process of launching t-shirts for this little corner of the interwebs but still ironing out some kinks. But the hubs wore one our shirts in Saturday and we received really good feedback. Not just “Oh, hey I like that.” So yay!! Here's to hoping more people feel this way.
Well that's us. Your turn. What are you grateful for this week?